Minimalism is an emerging trend this fall. As it seems to be gaining traction with the movement towards living in smaller spaces and having less, our tile and flooring experts here at City Tile in Murfreesboro, Tennessee wish to share a few tips on how to bring minimalist concepts to your home.
- Minimalism is about paring down, yes, but it is also about bringing nature into the home with the use of environmental colors. Earth tones like light browns and beige; creams; pale blues and greens; and whispers of faded yellow and clay can be found in the latest organic home designs.
- Get rid of all of your clutter. Clutter is a lack of organization and consistency in returning things to where they belong every time you use them according to the book The Life-Changing Magic Of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing.
- Use natural fabrics and other materials. Wood, stone and cement flooring are very much a part of this trend. Wool, cotton, and linen fabrics for furniture and bedding are a must with few, but very special hand made decoration – like fine craft pottery, metal sculpture, and original artwork.
- Get rid of all that stuff you haven’t used in five, ten or twenty years that is sitting unused in your closets, your garage, your attic, and your off-site storage unit. Only keep those things that you absolutely love. Sell, donate or trash the rest.
- Be creative. Look for new uses for old things, like an old unused painting tarp for a couch cover.
According to one minimalist website, following the lifestyle means owing 100 things or less. You may not be that adamant about simplifying your life, but a good purge of the junk and clutter from your home will definitely give you a boost of energy. And bringing in natural forms and colors will add some calm to you home, making it a relaxing refuge from our current go-go world.